Home » Amazon » 10 mind-blowing facts about Amazon.com

10 mind-blowing facts about Amazon.com

31 March 2013

From The Financial Post:

Amazon.com was almost called “Cadabra” as in “Abracadabra”. That idea was struck down because CEO Jeff Bezos’ lawyer misheard the word as “cadaver”.

. . . .

Amazon’s warehouses have more square footage than 700 Madison Square Gardens and could hold more water than 10,000 Olympic Pools.

. . . .

Amazon owns 10 percent of North American E-Commerce. Office Depot, Stapes, Apple, Dell, WalMart, Sears, and Liberty all own another 10 percent of the market, the same size as Amazon. That leaves 1,000+ retailers to all fight for the remaining 80 percent.

Link to the rest at The Financial Post and thanks to Stephen for the tip.

Passive Guy would comment that etailers fight for their sales position every day. Amazon doesn’t “own” 10% of North American e-commerce, it fights for and wins that 10% because it knows a competitor is a mouse-click away.

Amazon

8 Comments to “10 mind-blowing facts about Amazon.com”

  1. All this fuss over 10%?

    Seriously?

    Listening to the anti-Amazon histeria one should think they have at LEAST 25%…if not 50%.

    Reminds me – we need to rename that play ‘Much Ado Over 10%’ — now if I can just recall who wrote it?

    🙂

  2. It may be 10 percent, but judging from my ebook sales, it represents nearly 75%.

    That said, remember that Barnes and Noble could have done exactly the same thing as Amazon. They could have built a robust online bookstore that makes it easy to buy books. Instead, it’s kludgy and hard to use.

    • The Nook had such promise! I love my first one, bought my husband one and he bought me a Nook Color.

      I can get e-books from Smashwords, too. At least I can root my Nook and turn it into a tablet.

  3. Oh boy, I can hear the chorus warming up now. The sad thing is when the indie author talks about copyright or selling their work, they get slammed for defending the corporate monster. I’m still trying to understand that that logic.

  4. Only 10%? I thought they were taking over the world. I expected 99% – with the probability they would buy the final 1% next week.

    I very much like the one about customer service – that every employee spends a couple of days at the desk, even Bezos. That may be why they have such a reputation for good customer service.

  5. I love the door desk. You know keeping it frugal is a good way to make sure decisions are prioritized. Buy a nice desk v spend money on programmers.

    • Umm, I don’t see where they are spending money on programmers; that cheap desk is the one the programmers get to use – it’s not for Bezos. Of course, and speaking as a programmer now, I’d love a large door-size flat surface to spread out my stuff, and no drawers concealing the stuff I can’t remember where I put.

      • Pholy – Check out some of Ikea’s computer desks. Since they’re from Ikea, they don’t cost much and you can keep adding pieces to make a desk about as large as you can imagine.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.